Nominations are now open
The WA Landcare Network encourages landcarers across Western Australia to showcase their work in the 2019 State and Territory Landcare Awards now open for nominations.
Are you aware of an individual or group that needs to be recognised for their contribution to caring for our country? We encourage you to please nominate them for one of the nine national award categories.
Winners of the WA Landcare Awards will be announced at an Awards Gala Dinner on Thursday 3 October 2019 during the 2019 State NRM and Coastal Conference.
For more information visit https://landcareaustralia.org.au/landcareawards2019
Media Release from Landcare Australia
Landcare Australia is inviting nominations for the 2019 State and Territory Landcare Awards which recognises individuals and groups across the country for their outstanding contributions to preserving the unique Australian landscape.
In 2019, Landcare celebrates its 30-year national anniversary. And over the last three decades, Landcare has played a leading role in changing Australia’s approach to sustainable agricultural practices, environmental protection, conservation of land and waterways, coastlines and biodiversity.
The Landcare Awards are an opportunity to recognise and celebrate Landcare champions from rural and urban communities motivated by a shared vision to restore and protect the environment in their local community.
For over 20 years, the Landcare Awards has celebrated those working towards sustainable land use and undertaking on-ground action to protect, enhance or restore an area on behalf of the community.
Landcare Australia CEO Shane Norrish says it’s a chance to celebrate the achievements of those leading the wider community to engage and participate in managing the environment and natural resources in their local area.
Dr Norrish said: ‘There are so many people who have made a positive impact on improving land management practices. And these prestigious awards give us the chance to recognise and honour tireless volunteers making a difference.’
Winners from the 2019 State & Territory Landcare Awards will go forward to the 2020 National Landcare Awards held during the 2020 National Landcare Conference. The National Landcare Awards ceremony also includes the Bob Hawke Landcare Award sponsored by the Australian Government.
Nine national award categories are now open for nominations:
- Australian Government Individual Landcarer Award
- Australian Government Partnerships for Landcare Award
- Australian Government Landcare Farming Award
- Australian Government Innovation in Agriculture Land Management Award
- Virgin Coastcare Award
- Australian Community Media Landcare Community Group Award
- Woolworths Junior Landcare Team Award
- Indigenous Land Management Award
- Young Landcare Leader Award
Landcare Australia encourages nominations from individual groups, networks and individuals involved in protecting and improving their local environment. They include:
- Sustainable farmers and professional farming systems groups
- Indigenous landcare groups and individuals
- Urban landcare groups including ‘Friends of’ and bushcare groups
Coastcare, Rivercare, Dunecare groups and individuals
- Natural resource management agencies
- Local government
- Agricultural co-operatives, industry associations, suppliers or individual primary producers
- Junior Landcare (including day care centres, primary and secondary schools, youth groups)
- Youth groups including Scouts and Girls Guides